HyTime News and Events
- INHERITABLE INFORMATION ARCHITECTURES: Amendment 1 to ISO/IEC 10744:1997:
(ISO/IEC SC34 document N1985). This amendment provides an XML-friendly PI-based
syntax for declaring the use of SGML and XML inheritable architectures (this is the element subtyping paradigm that is also variously known as "meta-DTDs", "SGML architectures", "architectural forms" or "AFs", "base architectures", "client architectures", etc.):
public-id="+//IDN me.com//NOTATION Some Architecture//EN"
dtd-public-id="+//IDN me.com//DTD Some Architecture//EN"
This new syntax is supported by a enhancements (created by Luis Martinez and Peter Newcomb of TechnoTeacher, Inc.) to the "SP" SGML/XML parser.
Compiled versions for Linux,
Solaris, and Windows are available at http://www.hytime.org/SPt/. (It may interest some of you to know that this is the version of SP that is used in GroveMinder.) The SP
parser itself was created by James Clark (www.jclark.com). The PI-based base
architecture declaration syntax is also supported by David Megginson's
XAF package (see below).
- TC1 to ISO/IEC 10744:1997 in
final stages of completion. See
(ISO/IEC SC34 document N1988). This TC corrects a number of minor errors in 2nd
edition as published in August '97. Key features are:
- Clarifies the rules for bounded object set construction to make it clear
that each unique "entity body" is included in the BOS only once, even
if multiple entities resolve to the same body. Term "entity body" is
defined. This avoids the problem of recursive or duplicate inclusion of
entities in a HyTime BOS.
- Adds new ENTLOC, PROPLOC, and BIBLOC keywords to set of location types
- Added the "linktype" attribute to all hyperlink forms, not just
varlink. This makes it possible to have different syntax configurations for the
same semantic link type in the same document. For example, you might want to
have both contextual and independent forms of the same link type, with different
element type names.
- Provides new linking form, agglinkv, as an alternative configuration for
- For dimension specification, if starting quantum of first event is omitted,
event starts at first quantum of the FCS.
- For architectures, provide the new name mapping keyword "#GI" to
allow the architectural content to be the GI of the client element.
- For property sets (groves), added the data type "byte sequence",
for representing sequences of bytes.
- For the SGML property set, move default attributes property for notations
from prolog abstract 1 to prolog abstract 0 (making them part of default SGML
- Announcement of XAF: SAX-based architectural engine. See
Provides architectural processing transparently for SAX-based XML parsers.
- Official publication of the HyTime Standard by ISO/IEC, 1 August 1997